Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Adventures with Windows 7

So on the weekend a friend of my girlfriend’s sister was by the house with a (relatively) old laptop.  It had 1 Gig of Ram and a 1.6Ghz single core something or other CPU.  Normally, not that impressive, but in this case it was – it was running Windows 7.  And not just running it fairly well, but running it quickly.  Vista would have flat-out laughed at that machine, and then kicked it.  Twice.

This prompted me to go online and find info on the Windows 7 Release Candidate.  Downloaded and burned the ISO last night and successfully installed it and set it up this morning.  It was stupid-easy.  It was easy in the way Mac’s claim to be.  It detected everything (except my sound card, which set up manually without a hitch).  It didn’t need to use the damned floppy drive for anything (I’m looking at you, XP), it installed quickly and seamlessly.

So far, it’s beautiful, intuitive and all sorts of good adjectives.  I through it on a spare SATA drive I had lying around, so my system now happily dual-boots between XP and 7, depending on my whim.  And from what I’ve seen so far, my whim is going to more often be 7 than XP.

Grab it yourself here.  But do it soon - I think they stop handing out keys on the 10th of this month.images

If you’ve got a spare computer, or even drive, I wholeheartedly support giving it a shot.  Hell, it’s free.

No comments:

Post a Comment